Mutual Non-Disclosure Agreement
This Mutual Non-Disclosure Agreement is made and entered into as of _________________ 20__ (“Effective Date”) between Robert Laidlaw & Associates, with offices at 26 Breyer Court, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, 19027, USA, and ________________________________________, having an office at _________________________________________________________________ (together, “the parties”).
1. Purpose: The parties wish to explore general partnering opportunities of mutual interest, and in connection with these opportunities, each party may disclose to the other certain confidential technical and business information which the disclosing party desires the receiving party to treat as confidential.
2. “Confidential Information” means any information disclosed by either party to the other party, either directly or indirectly, in writing, orally or by inspection of tangible objects (including without limitation documents, prototypes, samples, plant and equipment), which is designated as “Confidential,” “Proprietary,” or some similar designation. Information communicated orally shall be considered Confidential Information if such information is designated at the time of disclosure as confidential and confirmed in writing within 10 days after disclosure. Confidential Information may also include information disclosed to a disclosing party by third parties. Confidential Information shall not, however, include any information which (i) was publicly known and made generally available in the public domain prior to the time of disclosure by the disclosing party; (ii) becomes publicly known and made generally available after disclosure by the disclosing party to the receiving party through no action or inaction of the receiving party; (iii) is already in the possession of the receiving party at the time of disclosure by the disclosing party as shown by the receiving party’s files and records prior to the time of disclosure; (iv) is obtained by the receiving party from a third party without a breach of such third party’s obligations of confidentiality; (v) is independently developed by the receiving party without use of or reference to the disclosing party’s Confidential Information, as shown by documents and other competent evidence in the receiving party’s possession; or (vi) is required by law to be disclosed by the receiving party, provided that the receiving party gives the disclosing party prompt written notice of such requirement prior to such disclosure and reasonably cooperates with the disclosing party in obtaining an order protecting the information from public disclosure.
3. Non-use and Non-disclosure: Each party agrees not to use any Confidential Information of the other party for any purpose except to evaluate and engage in discussions concerning a potential business relationship between the parties. Each party agrees not to disclose any Confidential Information of the other party to third parties or to such party’s employees, except to those employees or independent contractors of the receiving party who are required to have the information in order to evaluate or engage in discussions concerning the contemplated business relationship. Neither party shall reverse engineer, disassemble or decompile any prototypes, software or other tangible objects which embody the other party’s Confidential Information and which are provided to the party hereunder.
4. Maintenance of Confidentiality: Each party agrees that it shall take reasonable measures to protect the secrecy of and avoid disclosure and unauthorized use of the Confidential Information of the other party. Without limiting the foregoing, each party shall take at least those measures that it takes to protect its own most highly Confidential Information and shall ensure that its employees or independent contractors who have access to Confidential Information of the other party have signed a non-use and non-disclosure agreement in content similar to the provisions hereof, prior to any disclosure of Confidential Information to such employees. Neither party shall make any copies of the Confidential Information of the other party unless the same are previously approved in writing by the other party. Each party shall reproduce the other party’s proprietary rights notices on any such approved copies, in the same manner in which such notices were set forth in or on the original.
Both parties acknowledge that a breach of confidentiality will result in irreparable injury to the other’s business, and that the remedy at law for such a breach will be inadequate. Accordingly, each party agrees and consents that in addition to all other remedies available at law and in equity, the aggrieved party shall be entitled to both preliminary and permanent injunctions to prevent and/or halt a breach or threatened breach by the other of any covenant contained herein.
5. No Obligation: Nothing herein shall obligate either party to proceed with any transaction between them, and each party reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to terminate the discussions contemplated by this Agreement concerning the business opportunity.
6. No Warranty: ALL CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION IS PROVIDED “AS IS.” EACH PARTY MAKES NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR OTHERWISE, REGARDING ITS ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS OR PERFORMANCE.
7. Return of Materials: All documents and other tangible objects containing or representing Confidential Information which have been disclosed by either party to the other party, and all copies thereof which are in the possession of the other party, shall be and remain the property of the disclosing party and shall be promptly returned to the disclosing party upon the disclosing party’s written request.
8. No License: Nothing in this Agreement is intended to grant any rights to either party under any patent, mask work right or copyright of the other party, nor shall this Agreement grant any party any rights in or to the Confidential Information of the other party except as expressly set forth herein.
9. Residuals: Both parties acknowledge and agree that in the course of the discussions between the parties as contemplated by this Agreement, the employees of each party may further develop their knowledge, skills, and experience as it relates to the business activities of their respective employer. The subsequent use by the employees of a part of such knowledge, skills and experience in the ordinary course of business with their respective employer or any subsidiaries, does not constitute a breach of this Agreement, even if such knowledge, skills and/or experience was obtained, in some part, by having had access to the disclosing party’s Confidential Information.
10. Freedom of Action: The receipt of Confidential Information pursuant to this Agreement will not preclude, or in any way limit, the receiving party from (a) providing to others products or services which may be competitive with products or services of the disclosing party; (b) providing products or services to others who compete with the disclosing party; or (c) assigning its employees in any way it may choose.
11. Term: The term of this Agreement shall be one (1) year from the Effective Date. The obligations of each receiving party hereunder shall survive for a period of five (5) years after disclosure or until such time as all Confidential Information of the other party disclosed hereunder becomes publicly known and made generally available through no action or inaction of the receiving party whichever is earlier.
12. Remedies: Each party agrees that any violation or threatened violation of this Agreement may cause irreparable injury to the other party, entitling the other party to seek injunctive relief in addition to all legal remedies.
13. Miscellaneous: This Agreement shall bind and inure to the benefit of the parties hereto and their successors and assigns. This Agreement shall be governed by the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, without reference to conflict of laws principles. This document contains the entire agreement between the parties with respect to the subject matter hereof, and neither party shall have any obligation, express or implied by law, with respect to trade secret or proprietary information of the other party except as set forth herein. Any failure to enforce any provision of this Agreement shall not constitute a waiver thereof or of any other provision. This Agreement may not be amended, nor any obligation waived, except by a writing signed by both parties hereto.
Agreed and Accepted:
Robert Laidlaw & Associates
Name: Robert Clark Laidlaw